By. Danielle Husband
The first day of autumn officially dawned this past Saturday, closing the final chapter on Summer. Here in Texas, the hot sun is still burning bright, but we’re enjoying a brief reprieve from the summer heat thanks to a weekend storm that brought along cooling temperatures. Although I’m excited my favorite season is finally here, the lingering summer warmth is reminding me not to rush too quickly into the next phase of the year. Instead, I want to spend these last days of summer weather being in the present, putting a postscript on my warm weather fun!
Before you start picking out the best pumpkins for your fall festivities, I encourage you to enjoy the few remaining days of warmth and extra sunlight. Here are 5 ways to say goodbye to summer:
Take a walk outside at the warmest part of the day. Soak up the sunshine while it’s still bright in the sky. Engage your senses to help ground you in the present moment. If your days are already cooling down, head outdoors during the afternoon hours when the sun reaches its peak.
- Enjoy the warm sun.
- Smell the air.
- Watch the animals preparing for cooler weather.
- Notice the subtle hints of autumn.
- Listen for the rustle of fallen leaves.
Enjoy a scoop of your favorite summer flavor of ice cream. Licking an ice cream cone is an iconic summer activity. Even seeing an ice cream print makes me recall summer beach days! Taste summer one last time with your favorite seasonal flavor.
- Buy one last carton of your favorite summer flavor.
- Join a friend for a scoop!
- Opt for a cone for added summer fun.
- Take your treat outside if it’s warm out.
- Try out a new ice cream place for a unique experience.
Make use of the extra hours of evening sun before the days get shorter. As each day passes, we’re losing daylight. Before the days get noticeably shorter, take advantage of the last few days of extra evening sun.
- Eat dinner al fresco.
- Go for a post-dinner walk.
- Play an evening game of mini golf.
- Join friends for happy hour and outdoor games.
- Feed the ducks at a local park.
Go on one last summer adventure! You don’t need to go far to have an adventure. Be a weekend warrior and have one last fling before fall is in full swing. Do something fun, explore somewhere you haven’t been, or try something new.
- Take a hike.
- Enjoy a beach day.
- Visit a local waterway.
- Take a weekend road trip.
- “Tour” your home town.
Listen to your favorite summer songs one last time. You can enjoy your favorite summer anthems of 2018, or jam out to classic summer tunes. Here are a few tracks to get your started:
- “Summertime” by DJ Jazzy Jeff and The Fresh Prince
- “Soak up the Sun” by Cheryl Crow
- “Under the Boardwalk” by The Drifters
- “Wipe Out” by The Surfaris
- “California Gurls” by Katy Perry featuring Snoop Dog
- “Surfin’ Safari” by The Beach Boys
As we say goodbye to long summer days, allow yourself to be in the present, enjoying the blending of two seasons as the weather starts to shift. There’s still time to put a great ending on your summer.