By. Danielle Husband
Self care is often the first thing to fall off our plates when life gets busy, but it’s also important for maintaining both your mental and physical health. Let your Wind Down Wednesday be your weekly reminder to engage in some self care. You deserve some attention, so take a few moments to show yourself some love today.
There are so many great ways to practice self care, so you can find something to fit into even the tightest of schedules. While it’s best to set aside a block of time for yourself, that’s not always possible. Aim to spend at least thirty minutes on self care, but count even the smallest gestures.
Create comfort during your day. A simple way to incorporate self care into your day is to treat yourself to small comforts during your daily activities. This will improve both your mood and your day. Breakfast, lunch, and breaks provide the best opportunities for adding a bit of comfort.
- Treat yourself to a specialty coffee.
- Sip on a fresh smoothie.
- Make yourself an afternoon tea.
- Choose healthy, tasty dishes.
- Give yourself a pep talk.
- Post positive notes around your home and/or work space.
- Seek out your friends – talk with work friends, meet a friend for lunch or coffee, or schedule a chat break during your day to call or text a friend.
Pamper yourself at lunch or right after work. If you have the time and the means, indulge in your favorite pampering activity. Some places even offer specials on Wednesday, so it may be more affordable than you expect. Before you go, ask a friend if they want to go with you.
- Get a manicure and/or pedicure.
- Get a new haircut.
- Visit a spa.
- Take a yoga class.
- Spend time playing with animals at your local shelter.
- Read at a coffee shop.
- Meet up with a friend to reconnect.
Regain your serenity at home. Care for yourself at home is often the best way to relax and wind down. You don’t have to spend money or seclude yourself to do self care.
- Soak in the tub. Bring tea and/or a book for bonus relaxation.
- Eat dinner in nature.
- Cuddle with your pet or family.
- Take a break from social media.
- Eat a nutritious dinner.
- Go to bed early.
- Spend time with those you love.
- Try a relaxing face mask.
- Use a home spa treatment.
Take time to care for yourself today. Tomorrow, you’ll thank yourself.