By. Danielle Husband
Wednesday often feels like the forgotten day of the week. Sometimes, it’s even called “hump day.” Instead of waking up on Wednesday with a sigh and dreams of the weekend, treat the day as a chance to get a little mid-week relaxation. Wind Down Wednesday in all its forms can be a great addition to your week. Here at Mindful Curvy Life, I’ll explore a fun way to relax every Wednesday.
For this first week, I’ll start with a few tips on including something special on Wednesday to help you relax and approach the rest of the week a little more refreshed. Start out slowly by taking a mindful approach to enjoying Wind Down Wednesday.
Take a break from your every day. Depending on your schedule, choose the best time for your “wind down” moment. Many people find that after work or evening make the best time to treat themselves, but this might not be possible for you if you have other responsibilities. If this is the case, you could try mixing things up during your work break or lunch hour.
- If your schedule is packed, try to carve out just 15 minutes for you.
- If you live with other people, talk to them about having a few moments alone to yourself, or discuss ways that you could wind down together.
- If you’re a morning person, consider adding a fun addition to your breakfast or morning routine.
Be in the present, acknowledging how you feel today. Name your feelings, even if they’re negative. Take in the sights, sounds, and smells around you, especially if you try something new. All moments aren’t magical, but they’re still part of your life and who you are. Who knows, maybe one day you will look back on the moment and think about how it lingers in your mind.
- Don’t judge yourself or pressure yourself to feel differently.
- Let your mind be.
- Use your five senses to experience the world around you.
List off the things for which you’re thankful. Try to include things from the present week, but any blessing will help you better enjoy your day. You may even write down your list so that you can look back over it when you’re feeling down or just want to review all of the good things that are happening in your life.
- Try to think of at least three things to include in your gratitude list.
- If you can, include at least one thing for each part of your life.
- Writing down your list could help you see all of the good in your life.
Add something fun to your day. Make the day special with a treat. It doesn’t have to be anything big, and you can choose something that you enjoy, whether it’s a special meal, time with someone you love, or an impromptu activity.
- Enjoy a special drink, treat, or meal. For example, go out when you usually make your own food, or sip on a hot cup of tea.
- Take a more scenic route home, making at a stop a place that intrigues you. This could be a park, a coffee shop, a new shop, or anything else you enjoy.
- Do something creative, such as making jewelry, taking creative photos, painting pottery, or making a craft with your kids.
- Pick up a special dessert to share with your family, or go out for ice cream together.
- Have a glass of wine with your friend.
- Read a book while soaking in the tub.
Enjoy your Wind Down Wednesday! However you spend it, share your experience in the comments.